A Look Back at 1977 Fashion, JC Penney Style (or Lack Thereof)

Wednesday, November 07, 2007
There's good retro...and then there's bad retro. It's unnecessary to state which category these fashions belong to, but in JC Penney's defense (or offense) they always did have the worst clothing. I mean, these pictures are from 1977...the height of the disco era...and I don't see any sexy threads that I'd wear on the dance floor. It's only been during the last year or so that I've looked at JC Penney's Sunday flyers and seen things of decent quality that I would actually wear.

Anyways, these photos are circulating email right now and were passed onto me yesterday by my good friend Jude. I don't know where they originated from or I'd give the instigator proper credit, but really, the copyrights belong to JC Penney. Having said that, here's a sampling. Brace yourself...

I actually don't see anything wrong with the cover. They're dressing pretty much the way people dress today:



I feel for this child...too many memories of polyester pants from Sears:



This one's really a Halloween costume. It's called "Sleezy Larry the Used Car Salesman":



A sneak peak at the costume design of The 40-Year Old Virgins, the sequel to The 40 Year-Old Virgin:



Nothing says "I love you" like his-and-hers cowboy shirts. Actually, there are a lot of Hollywood couples who should be wearing these instead of the down-to-the-crack pants and booby-showing tank tops. It would be a vast improvement:



It's not easy being green, is it? Of all of these photos, I actually have the least qualms about this one. If you break out the wedding albums of any of my siblings, who all married during the late 70s/early 80s, you'll see Easter egg pastel suits galore. And to be honest, if I had to choose between a man in a mint green suit or a man with the goatee, baseball cap, and big belly look of today you can be sure I'm going home with the male Doublemint twins.

2 comments:

  1. Anyways? Anyways??? There is no such word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? You really had to leave a nitpicky comment about a typo on a 16-year-old post...

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.