Volkswagen Goes Retro with New Ad Campaign

Thursday, April 10, 2008
Picture courtesy MediaPost.com.





















Let me just say that I have a soft spot for VW Beetles. I was practically in love with Herbie growing up, and my second car was the newly designed Beetle that VW launched in 1998. So when I saw this latest ad campaign for the famous German car maker, my heart went pitter-patter all over again. With the help of advertising agency Crispin Porter + Bogusky, Volkswagen has resurrected its original Beetle as the star of a series of very retro black and white print ads that are reminiscent of the ones they put out in the 1960s, right down to the sans serif type. On TV, the car comes to life as Max, the talking veedub with a German accent (he sounds a lot like Mike Myers' Dieter of Saturday Night Live) who stars in his own talk show. It's a clever campaign for VW, waxing nostalgia. To see the similarities, check out this vintage 1968 print ad courtesy AdClassix.com:.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.