Lucky Lindy Hop

Thursday, August 21, 2008
I start Lindy Hop dance lessons next month. Why Lindy Hop, as opposed to regular swing? Because to me, Lindy Hop is the real McCoy, the real hardcore version of swing popularized during the 1940s with its lifts and flips. Lindy Hop has an energy and personality all its known. It's the dancing you think of the most when you hear swing music. I can't wait. I'm excited and a bit scared. I'm 5'9", after all - it probably won't be easy for a guy to lift and fling me about - so say a prayer for him, whoever he may be. I'm sure most of the lifts won't come unless I make it to the advanced class, anyway.

In the meantime I've been looking up Lindy Hop clips on YouTube, and they sure look like fun. Here's a cute one I found from a 1944 movie I've never heard of called "Swing Fever." Here we hear the sad tale of one girl and two boys...wait, how can that be considered sad??? These dancers (that come on at 2:45) make it look so easy.

2 comments:

  1. the Lindy Hop is fun! A bunch of my friends found a place in town that had swing dance nights and we went. It was fun and kinda wierd because it was full of either grandparents or young 'uns in their 20s (us.)

    A couple from that group of friends did swing dancing as their first wedding dance instead of the traditional waltz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like so much fun! youre right, red hot looks a lot like lucy...very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.