Friday, September 16, 2011

Two Forgotten Friday Favorites: Berlin

The group Berlin is best known for the overplayed hit "Take My Breath Away" from the 1986 movie Top Gun (Paul McCartney even performed a parody of it earlier this year on Saturday Night Live.) However, it's two of their earlier hits that I'm choosing for today's Forgotten Friday Favorites. This L.A. based New Wave band, made up of John Crawford (bass guitar), Terri Nunn (vocals), David Diamond (keyboards), Ric Olsen (guitar), Matt Reid (keyboards) and Rod Learned (drums, later replaced by Rob Brill) started their career in the late 70s. The very pretty lead singer Nunn pursued an acting career in between music and even auditioned for the role of Princess Leah. The band is still active today (Nunn is the only original member), and is currently working on a new album

Today's songs are "No More Words" and "Sex (I'm A...)" I love the "No More Words" video because it was Bonnie and Clyde inspired and therefore the clothes and cars used in it are fantastic (I actually think Faye Dunaway's style in the iconic 1967 movie is still sexy and timeless today.) And "Sex (I'm A...)" was one I never heard on the radio for obvious reasons--it was banned by several radio stations due to its controversial lyrics. Ah, they don't write songs like they used to. Thank goodness for the magic of the Interwebs. Hope y'all are enjoying your Friday.




3 comments:

Matt said...

I saw them in 1983 when they opened for the Police on the Synchronicity your. My favorite was always 'Metro'

Marlene said...

The only one I remember clearly is "Take My Breath Away". Loved that song.

Darrin.. said...

Heh Heh. They played Sssssssex on one radio station in Colorado, but it was very late at night.. and they didn't play it for long. I always hear it now on Sirius-XM "First Wave" and "80's" channels.

Link Within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin