Monday, July 12, 2010

Sexist Children's Book

Well, not really. Or maybe. Depends on your perspective. These images are from a children's book published in 1970 called, "I'm Glad I'm a Boy! I'm Glad I'm a Girl!" by an American satirist/cartoonist named Whitney Darrow. Apparently the book was meant as satire, but that hasn't stopped people from leaving nasty reviews about it on Amazon.com.

Technically, I stole these images from My Blagh, so I must give credit to that blogger for scanning and posting the entire book. Whatever you think of it, it's clear we've come a long way in our thoughts about gender roles. I'm glad I'm a girl! 




Aww, I think that closing image is so sweet. 

I also came across a collection of illustrations that Darrow did for a book called "Sex and the Single Child." Way funnier stuff and I plan on posting them soon!

6 comments:

Amanda By Night said...

Considering the time it was written I don't find it sexist at all. There are parts where now I'd raise an eyebrow, but at least it says boys are heroes and girls are heroines. It's true!

I think it's sweet. Thanks for posting!

PS: I'm glad I'm a girl too!

Pam@GoRetro said...

I think it's cute, too...I was surprised to read some of the reviews on Amazon...it WAS written in 1970, after all.

The other book, which I will post, is much more interesting. His illustrations have a very Charles Schultz feel to them.

I did chuckle at the cheerleading picture, though - her skirt is blowing upwards!

Mimi said...

Was this book written by a boy or a girl?

Pam@GoRetro said...

A man - Whitney Darrow. He was a cartoonist.

Anonymous said...

As satire...cute! But, anyone not knowing it *is* satire, should be dismayed! Girls are smart, boys are stupid! Ha-ha...girls know it's satire, boys take it at face value! ...Jude

Darrin.. said...

Oh gosh.. can't wait to see the next one!

Link Within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin